Laughlin AFB

Laughlin Air Force Base hosts the 47th Flying Training Wing of the Air Education and Training Command (AETC). It is the largest pilot training base in the United States Air Force.


View Larger Map

Mission

The 47th Flying Training Wing, located at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, conducts specialized undergraduate pilot training for the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and allied nation air forces utilizing the T-6, T-38 and T-1A aircraft while deploying mission-ready Airmen as well as develop professional, disciplined leaders.

AETC’s mission is to develop America’s Airmen today… for tomorrow.

History

Laughlin Air Force Base, home of the 47th Flying Training Wing, the Air Force’s largest pilot training base. The history of the wing dates back to 1947.  47th Flying Training WingOn July 28, 1947 the 47th Bombardment Wing, Light, was designated, with the organization occurring Aug. 15, 1947. Between its organization and 1949, the wing trained in night tactical operations, conducted firepower demonstrations and participated in tactical exercises while flying the A-26, and later, the B-26 aircraft.

Full History

The history of the wing dates back to 1947. On July 28, 1947, the 47th Bombardment Wing, Light, was designated, with the organization occurring Aug. 15, 1947. Between its organization and 1949, the wing trained in night tactical operations, conducted firepower demonstrations and participated in tactical exercises while flying the A-26, and later, the B-26 aircraft. The wing was organized at Biggs Air Force Base, Texas, and moved to Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana., November 1948.

The wing was inactivated in October 1949 and reactivated March 12, 1951, at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, and transitioned to the B-45 medium jet bomber. From May 1951 until February 1952, the wing provided combat crew training in B-26 aircraft and operated the United States Air Force Air Crew School (Light Bombardment and Tactical Reconnaissance, Night Photographic).

The wing moved to Royal Air Force Sculthorpe, England, in June 1952 and for the next decade performed tactical training operations, including participation in exercises and firepower demonstrations in support of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. During the assignment to England, the wing was re designated the 47th Bombardment Wing, Tactical. The wing converted from the B-45 bomber to the B-66 Destroyer in 1958. From 1960 to 1962, the wing assumed an air refueling mission utilizing the KB-50 tanker.

The wing was inactivated in June 1962. A decade later, Sept. 1, 1972, the wing was reactivated and re designated as the 47th Flying Training Wing, replacing and absorbing the resources of the 3646th Pilot Training Wing at Laughlin Air Force Base.

The 47th Flying Training Wing commands a flying operation which exceeds 86,000 flying hours and 58,000 sorties per year. It is composed of more than 2,000 military personnel, 1,180 civilian employees and a total base community exceeding 4,200 people.

The 47th Flying Training Wing’s payroll totals $119 million. The wing’s total economic impact is valued at $234 million.

The wing’s mission is to conduct specialized undergraduate pilot training for the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and allied nation air forces utilizing the T-6, T-38 and T-1A aircraft while deploying mission-ready Airmen as well as develop professional, disciplined leaders.