Fort Knox

Locations

Fort Knox is a United States Army post, located 35 miles south of Louisville. It encompasses 109,054 acres (or about 170.4 square miles) in three Kentucky counties. It is the sixth largest urban community in the Commonwealth of Kentucky with a long and rich history. Fort Knox is adjacent to the city of Radcliff, 15 miles north of Elizabethtown.


View Larger Map

History

Fort Knox began as Camp Knox in 1918, when the U.S Government leased approximately 40,000 acres for artillery training. The surrounding area had served as a training area for Cavalry units prior to that. The post is named to honor Henry Knox, Chief of Artillery of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and the first Secretary of War for the United States. In 1931, a small force of the mechanized cavalry was assigned to Camp Knox to use it as a training site. The camp was turned into a permanent garrison in January 1932 and renamed Fort Knox. The 1st Cavalry Regiment arrived later in the month to become the 1st Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized). Fort Knox was the home of the Army’s Armor and Cavalry training and doctrine from then until 2011, when BRAC 2005 caused the U.S. Army Armor Center and School to join the Infantry Center and School at Fort Benning, Georgia to form the Maneuver Center of Excellence.

Population Served 

Fort Knox has a population of over 40,000 Soldiers, family members and civilian employees.

Contact

The DSN prefix for Fort Knox is 464/536/983-XXXX
For Commercial Access (502) 624/626/613-XXXX or (502) 942-XXXX
Click here for the DSN Global Directory

Fort Knox Operator – DSN 464-1000 | Commercial (502) 624-1000