The U.S. Army Pueblo Chemical Depot (PCD), which reports to the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Activity (CMA), is responsible for the safe and secure storage of the chemical weapons stockpile in Colorado. PCD is commanded by COL Michael W. Cobb.
Located near Pueblo, Colorado, PCD is one of two remaining Army installations in the United States that stores chemical weapons. Encompassing approximately 23,000 acres, the depot’s mission has shifted and expanded since PCD was created in 1942. Today, the depot ensures the safe, secure storage of the chemical weapons stockpile until it is destroyed, and is preparing for depot closure.
The chemical stockpile is comprised of 2,600 tons of mustard agent in approximately 780,000 munitions. The Program Executive Office, Assembled Chemical Weapons Alternatives is the Department of Defense (DoD) program responsible for the destruction of chemical weapons in Colorado. Working in partnership with the community, the Army selected neutralization followed by biotreatment to destroy the chemical weapons stockpile at PCD.
Bechtel Pueblo is the systems contractor that designed and constructed the Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (PCAPP), and will systemize, pilot test, operate and close PCAPP.
Pueblo Depot Activity (PUDA), formerly known as the Pueblo Ordnance Depot and the Pueblo Army Depot, was a U.S. Army ammunition storage and supply facility.
In 1952, Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver, Colorado transferred chemical agents and chemical munitions to Pueblo Army Depot for secure storage. In 1974 Pueblo Army Depot was redesignated as Pueblo Depot Activity.
Upon this redesignation the missile maintenance mission was transferred to Letterkenny Army Depot in Pennsylvania, and responsibility for the Activity was shifted from Army Ordnance, to Tooele Army Depot in Utah. The Defense Secretary’s Commission on Base Realignment and Closure recommended realignment for Pueblo Depot Activity in its 1988 report. This realignment transferred most of the previous responsibilities to other installations. The only remaining mission for the Depot was the secure storage of the chemical agents already there. Responsibility for the Depot shifted from Tooele, to the US Army Material Command headquartered at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. The empty bunkers and warehouses which used to store the non-chemical munitions and other supplies as well as repair and manufacturing facilities were turned over to the Pueblo Depot Activity Development Authority who currently offer these properties for civilian lease purposes.
Safety and Security
The safety of workers, the public and the environment are paramount to the success of the chemical weapons disposal mission. CMA oversees the secure storage of chemical munitions to ensure that they are safe. CMA and PCD are committed to the safe and secure storage of the chemical weapons until the stockpile can be eliminated.
Public Participation and Community Relations
PCD and PCAPP work closely with the Colorado Chemical Demilitarization Citizens’ Advisory Commission, which serves as a forum for exchanging information about the project, offers opportunities for the public to get involved and represents community and state interests to the Army and DoD.
The Chemical Stockpile Emergency Preparedness Program works closely with your community and state emergency professionals to develop emergency plans and provide chemical accident response equipment and warning systems.
To learn more about the Army’s chemical weapons disposal mission visit the Pueblo Chemical Stockpile Outreach Office.