Aberdeen Proving Ground covers more than 72,500 acres, more than half of which is water or wetlands. There are more than 6,800 acres of improved grounds, nearly 300 miles of road, and more than 567,000 square yards of airfield pavement. The installation lies on two peninsulas separated by the Bush River.
Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) is the U.S. Army’s oldest active proving ground. It was established on the shores of Chesapeake Bay in Maryland’s Harford County in 1917 to provide the nation site where Army materiel could be masted and tested. At the same time, the Edgewood Arsenal was established nearby to provide a site for the development, production, and testing of chemical warfare materiel. The two installations were officially joined as Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1971.
To provide test and test support services for authorized customers, within DoD and outside DoD, including government and non-government organizations, domestic and foreign. Provide comprehensive test and training both real and simulated; provide expert knowledge and technical services including instrumentation application, facility operations, manufacturing and fabrication; exploit emerging technologies; and develop leading edge instrumentation and test methodologies.
More than 7,500 civilians work at Aberdeen Proving Ground, and more than 5,000 military personnel are assigned there. In addition, there are nearly 3,000 contractor and private business employees working on the Proving Ground. There are 2,700 military family members living on the post and another 243 off post. The post supports more than 16,000 military retirees and retiree family members. The post is one of the largest employers in the state of Maryland.
Aberdeen Proving Ground Telephone Directory – www.apg.army.mil/